“Doctors are angels on earth !”
An apple a day keeps the doctor away, as the adage goes. If you consider doctors as gods, then biblically the apple of Eve can keep you away. Truth is, doctors are not gods and the apples are not from Eden.
This article is based on neighbourhood experiences of medical failures, hence highly opinionated and may not serve as advisory. I request, the readers, if on the same page, to share their healing experiences so that I can see it better – the choice.
As of today, simplifying categories, there are 3 ways one takes care of self.
- Professionals –
- Doctors – An unarguably scientific means to cure our diseases is known to them, but the science itself is not only work in progress but also unexplored in some areas due to the nature of discovery itself. In short if doctors declare a 30% probability of cure, then it must be noted pessimistically that out of 100 patients, 70 of them would meet failure. This would help to focus on other decisions of life. e.g. allopathy
- Healers – Grouping hereby all other alternate professionals under the term ‘healers’, some patients consider healers worth a try, if doctors offer a less than 50% success w.r.t. the expenses involved. When these methods do work, placebo or not, it becomes an ethical curiosity of the mainstream followers to scientifically find the root cause of success instead of dogmatically rejecting it as a pseudoscience because knowledge extends beyond the syllabi. e.g. homeopathy, naturopathy
- Self-Help – No medicine beats the prevention of disorders. This involves inculcating proper food habits and lifestyle. Immunity and fitness respectively, are not a one day course with overnight results but requires commitment and continuity throughout the life. Sounds hard work ! Prescribed by doctors, to prevent aggravation of chronic ailments, taking pills throughout the life is not a cure too, but only a maintenance of health. e.g. nutrition,exercise, laughing☺
Extracting the actions out of above lessons results into 3 resolutions to take care of yourself.
- Do not indulge in regular malpractice even if countered by doctor’s prescription.
- Do not delegate your natural responsibilities to doctor’s medicine.
- Do not expect sure success of doctor’s programme in error-prone cases.
In short, lesser the psychological dependency can be on doctors, the happier would be our lives. What do you think ?
PLEASE : Comment to let me know how you liked (or disliked) the article. Thank you for reading.
Further Readings :